Member of the Florida Association of Insurance Agents (FAIA)

More Than 40 Years of Experience

Erwin Insurance Agency

Auto Insurance in North Florida

Keep your car and your finances safe by getting insurance today. We offer auto insurance in North Florida that can be personalized to meet your unique needs.

Father and Child with a RV
Beautiful Boat and House

In the event of an accident, auto insurance protects you from financial damage. It is a legal agreement between you and the insurance provider. You agree to pay the premium, and the insurance company agrees to reimburse your losses according to the terms of your policy.

Property, liability, and medical coverage are all included in auto insurance:

  • Property coverage protects you in the event that your automobile is damaged or stolen.
  • Liability coverage compensates you for your legal duty to others in the event of physical harm or property damage.
  • Medical coverage covers the costs of treating injuries, rehabilitating patients, and, in some cases, lost income and burial expenditures.
  • A car insurance policy includes six distinct types of coverage. Most states require you to purchase some, but not all, of these insurance policies. Your lender may also have restrictions if you’re financing a car.

Your auto policy may include six coverages. Each coverage is priced separately.

Bodily Injury Liability

This coverage applies to injuries caused by you, the designated driver, or the policyholder to another person. When you and family members named on the policy drive someone else’s automobile with their consent, you and they are protected.

It is critical to have adequate liability insurance because you might face a big monetary settlement if you are involved in a major accident. Consider purchasing more than the state-mandated minimum to safeguard assets such as your house and money.

Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

This coverage covers the treatment of injuries sustained by the policyholder’s driver and passengers in his or her vehicle. PIP, in its widest sense, can cover medical bills, missed income, and the expense of replacing services typically done by someone injured in a car accident. It may also pay for funeral expenses.

Property Damage Liability

This coverage pays for damage you (or someone driving the car with your permission) may cause to someone else’s property. Usually, this means damage to someone else’s car, but it also includes damage to lamp posts, telephone poles, fences, buildings, or other structures your car hit.


This policy compensates for damage to your automobile caused by a collision with another vehicle, an object, or flipping over. It also covers damage from potholes. Collision insurance is often sold with a deductible ranging from $250 to $1,000—the larger your deductible, the cheaper your rate. Even if you were at fault for the accident, your collision coverage would reimburse you for the costs of fixing your vehicle, less the deductible. If you are not at fault, your insurance company may seek reimbursement from the other driver’s insurance company. If they are successful, you will be paid for your deductible as well.


This coverage compensates you for losses caused by something other than a collision with another automobile or item, such as fire, falling objects, missiles, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, flood, vandalism, riot, or contact with animals such as birds or deer.

  • Comprehensive insurance is often sold with a deductible of $100 to $300; however, you may wish to choose a greater deductible to decrease your cost.
  • If your windshield is damaged or destroyed, comprehensive insurance will pay you. Some businesses provide glass coverage with or without a deductible.
  • Although states do not mandate collision or comprehensive coverage, if you have a car loan, your lender may demand you to carry it until your loan is paid off.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

This coverage will reimburse you, a member of your family, or a designated driver if one of you is hit by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.

No! Almost every state mandates that you have auto liability insurance. All states have laws requiring financial responsibility. This implies that even if your state does not need liability insurance, you must have enough assets to cover claims if you cause an accident. If you lack sufficient assets, you must acquire at least the state’s minimal level of insurance. However, insurance is available to protect your possessions. Trying to see how little you can get by can be shortsighted and dangerous.

If you’ve financed your car, your lender may require comprehensive and collision insurance as part of the loan agreement.

Even if you lease a car, you must still obtain your own auto insurance coverage. The automobile dealership or bank financing the vehicle will need you to get collision and comprehensive insurance. You’ll need to purchase these coverages in addition to any others that your state may need, such as car liability insurance.

  • If you have financed your vehicle, your lender may require comprehensive and collision insurance as a condition of the loan.
  • Collision insurance pays for damage to a car caused by a collision with another vehicle or object.
  • Comprehensive insurance covers losses that are not caused by a collision with another automobile or item, such as a fire, theft, or an accident with a deer.

In addition, the leasing firm may require “gap” insurance. This relates to the fact that if you are in an accident and your leased automobile is damaged beyond repair or “totaled,” there will almost certainly be a difference between the amount you still owe the auto dealer and the payment you will get from your insurance carrier. This is due to the fact that the insurance company’s cheque is based on the car’s real cash worth, which includes depreciation. The difference between the two amounts is known as the “gap.”

The cost of gap insurance is usually incorporated into the lease payments for a leased automobile. A gap policy is not purchased. In most cases, the auto dealer purchases a master policy from an insurance firm to cover all of the vehicles it leases and charges you a “gap waiver.” This implies you won’t have to pay the dealer the difference if your leased automobile is totaled. When leasing an automobile, consult with the dealership.

If you have an auto loan rather than a lease, you should consider purchasing gap insurance to prevent yourself from having to pay the gap amount if your automobile is totaled before you’ve completed paying for it. Speak with your insurance agent about gap insurance, or look it up on the Internet. However, do note that gap insurance may not be available in some states.

When renting a car, you must have insurance. This may be sufficient if you have appropriate insurance on your own automobile, including collision and comprehensive coverage. Before you rent a car, consider the following:

Contact Your Insurance Company

Determine how much coverage you have on your own vehicle. In most situations, the coverage and deductibles on your own auto policy will apply to a rental automobile, as long as it is utilized for pleasure rather than a business. You will not be protected if your rental automobile is stolen or damaged in an accident if you do not have comprehensive and collision coverage on your own car.

Call Your Credit Card Company

Find out what kind of protection your card offers. The extent of coverage varies. If you do not have auto insurance, you must purchase it at the car rental counter. You can choose from the following coverages:

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

This policy, also known as a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), relieves you of financial obligation if your rental automobile is destroyed or stolen. However, the CDW may be null and void if you cause an accident while speeding, driving on unpaved roads, or driving while drunk. This coverage typically ranges between $9 and $19 per day. You may not need to acquire this policy if you already have comprehensive and collision coverage on your own automobile.

Liability Insurance

This gives up to $1 million in excess liability coverage when renting an automobile. Rental firms are obliged by law to have the bare minimum of liability insurance needed by your jurisdiction. In general, this does not provide adequate protection in the event of a major accident. If you have enough liability coverage on your automobile or an umbrella policy on your home/auto, you might choose to skip this extra insurance. It usually costs $7 to $9 per day. Consider getting non-owner liability coverage if you don’t own a car and frequently rent one. This costs between $200 and $300 each year. Frequent car renters sometimes find this more cost-effective than constantly paying for the extra liability coverage.

Personal Accident Insurance

This offers coverage for medical/ambulance expenses for you and your passengers. This sort of insurance typically costs around $3 per day, but it may be unneeded if you have health insurance or enough medical coverage via your vehicle policy.

Personal Effects Coverage

This policy protects you against the theft of personal goods in your vehicle. However, if you have homeowners’ or renters’ insurance, you may be reimbursed for things taken from your car up to the amount of your deductible. You must have receipts or other forms of evidence of ownership. This sort of insurance is often priced at around $1.25 per day. Some rental vehicle providers integrate personal accident and personal effects coverage into one form of insurance, while others sell it separately.

The cost of insurance at the rental vehicle counter varies according to the rental car business, state, and location of the dealer, as well as the type of automobile you rent.

Some rental car companies may examine your credit and driving history and may reject coverage. Find out what the policy of the rental car business is.

There is a significant distinction between when an insurance company cancels a policy and when it decides not to renew it. Insurance companies cannot cancel a policy that has been in effect for more than 60 days unless the following conditions are met:

  • You do not pay your premium.
  • You committed fraud or made significant misrepresentations in your application.
  • Your driving privileges have been revoked or suspended.

Non-renewal, on the other hand, is a different story. When your policy ends, you or your insurance provider might choose not to renew it. Depending on your state, your insurance provider must provide you with a specified number of days’ notice and explain the cause for non-renewal before canceling your policy. If you believe the reason is unjust or want further information, contact the insurance company’s consumer relations section. If you have not received an explanation, contact your state insurance department.

Get a Quote Today!

To get the auto insurance you need, go to a trusted source! Erwin Insurance Agency is here to help guide you into getting the policy you’re most likely to find most useful. To get a quote, please contact us today.